Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Oh, Dave. You're so funny.


The Tattered Cover is one of those rare things to still have around in this day and age…a bookstore.  Remember books?  You know, those paper things with words on them?  I’ve started reading the old-school variety rather than downloading on my Nook as much as possible.  I find that I read faster and retain information better when I have the tactile experience of holding the actual book in my hands and turning a page.

Anyway, back to the Tattered Cover…they host book signings and readings by authors frequently, and I added myself to their mailing list so that I wouldn’t miss any of my favorite authors when they came to town.  Last year, I got to meet one of my idols, Anne Lamott.

This week, I got to meet another favorite, Dave Barry.  I love Dave because he makes me laugh.  Out loud.  If you’ve never read any of his stuff, I highly recommend that you run, don’t walk, to the bookstore (or, go ahead and download it if you want).  If you’re looking for a place to start, Dave Barry’s Guide to Guys is my favorite, specifically the essay about Roger and Elaine.  It cracks me up every time I read it. 





My mom, Dave Barry, and me.  Even his haircut is hilarious.



I spent a couple of hours hanging out with my mom and sister, we laughed our heads off, I got to meet the author, have my photo taken with him, and when he took questions he answered mine and liked it the best of all the questions he got (I made that part up, but who here will dispute it?).  The best part was: it was free (I did buy the book, which wasn’t free, but still).  How’s that for awesome?  

No comments:

Post a Comment