Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The holidays and...Gibbs?


As a fresh widow, I think my very best friend was my TV in my bedroom.  Who am I kidding?  It’s still my bestie.  It’s my companion when I eat (yep.  I have salt and pepper on my nightstand…I figured…own it.), when I go to sleep, when I exercise, when I’m afraid, it helps me to get my mind on something else when I need to.  I logically can think of lots of reasons that this is unhealthy.  I don’t care about any of them.

This time of year, all the shows that I program on my DVR quit airing new episodes.  They take a hiatus for the holidays, assuming that their audience will be too busy going to holiday parties and being with their families.  I am busier with those things this time of year but I still need distraction on a regular basis (so I’m currently taking suggestions for old shows that are in syndication to start watching).

As I was cruising around looking for something to distract me today, though, I saw one of the very first episodes that I ever watched of what has become my favorite TV show…NCIS.  Let me tell you how the love affair began.

I had been widowed for only a few weeks.  I was on an airplane coming back to the states from a London visit with my sister and her family, and the movie choices were lame, but there was a TV show…I watched all of the offered episodes of NCIS and NCIS: LA.  When I came home (right after Thanksgiving), I caught a few episodes on “on demand” and then began the USA network’s marathons that they have frequently on the weekends.  I think that Gibbs, Abby, Tony and McGee helped me survive my first holiday season as a widow.  With sleep being a distant memory, I could catch up on old episodes of NCIS.

The characters are great, the writing is good, and there’s always an episode on.  When I tell people that I watch it, they always say, “Oh, my dad watches that.”  So I joke that I like “old man TV.”  But, the reality is that old men must have good taste. 

It seems silly to be so thankful for something inanimate like that, but I am, and this time of year I feel especially warm and nostalgic toward the little NCIS family that helped me through.


2 comments:

  1. I don't know if you have Netflix, but I've recently been preaching the gospel of "Warehouse 13" (the first 2 season are on NF instant play.) It's not in syndication.. in fact they are going to have season 4 begin sometime in 2012, but it's funny/fascinating/totally addictive, and a mighty fine way to waste approximately 26 hours. (39 if you buy the third season on amazon instant play cause you just have to keep watching. *totally guilty*) Also: How I Met Your Mother

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, was introduced to Gibbs via a marathon NCIS weekend...and can always count on a good episode. I did tend to be eating dinner when the autopsy scene began, so I've adjusted that;)

    As far as other shows...I was just introduced to Justified - first season FX show (available on Netflix...but not streaming;) Very good characters and plot that follows through a season.

    My other delight is Lark Rise to Candleford, a BBC series --- again, through Netflix have enjoyed two full seasons and now experiencing the 3rd season each week.

    Blessings on your Christmas and New Years!

    ReplyDelete