Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Toothbrushes


Somehow, not because it was Sawan’s family tradition or mine, we ended up always putting a toothbrush in stockings and Easter baskets. 

For him, I always chose either purple or orange.  Those were his favorite colors.  The last one I bought for him did this really cool vibrate thing, without being a rotating toothbrush.  He thought it was about the coolest thing, ever. 

He always picked pink for me.  I finally had to tell him that my teeth were sensitive, and, even though pink is definitely my favorite color, it was more important that I have soft bristles.  Otherwise I couldn’t use it.

Today, I felt a little sad about the fact that I didn’t have a new pink toothbrush from my stocking, so I bought a new one for myself.  I picked a really cool one, with a spinning head.  I’m pretty stoked about it. 

As I used it tonight though, it made me remember a detail about Sawan that I totally had forgotten.  By tonight, the third night that he would have been using a new toothbrush from a Christmas stocking, he would already have had the bristles all smashed down and sort of…tangled.  I have no idea how he did this so quickly (or at all…I’ve never done that to a toothbrush).

These are the details that seem so weird to be losing.  I feel like it’s good that I don’t stress out about remembering every little thing.  But when I remember them it makes me feel sad that it wasn’t at the forefront of my mind.  It’s part of the tug of war of grief, I suppose (the letting him go versus the holding him close). 

At the end of the day, my new toothbrush makes me happy.  Here’s to the little things.  Like new toothbrushes.

2 comments:

  1. Amen. Blake now uses the toothbrush big Blake and I used when we were married (don't worry: it's electric and B has FRESH NEW toothbrush heads for it!). If anyone gave me a toothbrush for Christmas, I'd be ticked, but I'm glad you have that as a cherished memory, and I'm glad you rediscovered a memory you'd forgotten. Those can be very sweet: even as you taste the bitterness of the forgetting, the sweetness can wipe it away. Had one of those moments just the other night, myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love you and the toothbrush story!

    ReplyDelete