Friday, July 20, 2012

Grieving for my City


I awoke this morning to news of the tragedy in Aurora that occurred overnight, and it has not been far from my mind all day.

The thing is, this was a normal day for me.  I worked out, got some stuff for work done, met my friends at the pool, went to an appointment.  I had a regular day.

And yet, there are so many people whose lives are forever changed by today.

I remember, when Sawan first died, being so jealous of the people with their regular routines.  I remember thinking, “Wow.  You can just go to the grocery store and it’s not a big deal.  You can just go out to dinner with your family.”  I didn’t know that someday I would be well enough to have fun again.  That the grief becomes manageable, so that it just becomes part of the regular routine.

If you know someone who has been touched by this tragedy, then I am so deeply sorry.  For those of you who are close, and want some advice on how to best be there for those that are grieving, I couldn’t say it better than these two women, and I urge you to read their thoughts.



And for my poor, broken city:  I love you.  Be brave.  You can do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment