Friday, July 6, 2012

Happy Birthday, America!

The Fourth of July has long been one of my favorite holidays.  You don’t have to buy presents for it, so it hasn’t become disgustingly commercial.  It isn’t a high-pressure holiday.  It’s mostly about getting together and hanging out, with an undercurrent of patriotism.  I kind of love that.

The only time that I generally get “widow sad” on the 4th is at night with the big fireworks.  This year, with all of the wildfires in Colorado, nearly everyone had cancelled their shows, so I didn’t even have to worry about that!

Ellie and I (the Aunts, who both live in Denver), got up early, fortified ourselves with Starbucks, and made the trek down to the suburbs to watch both sets of nephews and nieces in their individual annual neighborhood Fourth of July Parades.  They decorate their bikes.  In one, the fire department came.  There was patriotic music.  They threw candy.  It was major cute-ness.  It gave me such a sense of Americana.



Parade One, with decorated bikes!

Cutest Spectators Ever! (If I do say so myself)

Parade Two! (Mine is second from the left)



Then, in the afternoon/evening we had a party at the Pink House.  I love hosting.  I love decorating my cute little house.  I love having laughter filling my rooms.  I love making memories there.



I did this flower arrangement myself!
The littlests, both eating JUST ENOUGH dinner to earn ice cream.


NOT a good photo of any of these guys, but the only way that even remotely shows how hilariously crammed in we were with16 people on my front porch.

The biggests, looking like men, lounging in the front yard.
I'd say we know how to celebrate America's Birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment