Monday, November 8, 2010

The Good Citizen

Arthur passed another big test today.  It was his, and I’m not making this up, Canine Good Citizen.  That’s what they call it.  It’s an AKC sanctioned program that is often the first step for service and therapy dogs.  They actually say that when a dog gets his certification it’s recognizing a dog for his “good manners.”  Bwahahahaha!  I’m not sure why this cracks me up so much.  I guess it’s because I think that he does things that are so human, but it’s weird to me when something like the AKC humanizes animals.  He almost didn’t pass because one of the requirements is “supervised separation.”  I put him in a “down, stay” and leave his sight for 3 minutes.  He’s supposed to stay down and not move, but he’s also not allowed to make any noise, and my dog wants to cry the whole time.  He’s afraid I’m not coming back.  The irony?  We’re just around the corner, so I’m all nervous the whole time, and I can hear him crying for me, and the song playing on the radio was Kansas' “Carry on my wayward son, Don’t cha cry no more.”  They had to check the rules for him, and apparently it’s OK if he makes noise as long as he’ll be quiet when commanded to by the test giver, which he did.  So, phew.

After a rough day of sleeping and going to class, he’s now passed out on my bed and barking in his sleep.  Must be a good dream, where Arthur the Squirrel Slayer rides again.

Since Sawan did most of the training with the Fella before he died, whenever these milestones are hit for us, I always want to tell Arthur, “Your dad would be so proud.”  But it makes me feel silly.

I’m hoping that this means that we can quit going to the group class on Saturday afternoons, because the working at 7:30 on Saturdays to get clients in in time to leave early for the class is kicking my butt for sure.

That’s the Arthur update.  He’s such a good citizen.

All tuckered out.  His fav place to sleep.  On top of furniture.

No comments:

Post a Comment