Wednesday, December 22, 2010

My Someone Special

My brother and sister in law have given me two of the greatest gifts ever, my niece and nephew, Jake and Addy.

Jake is 4 ½.  The last time he came to visit, we were all going to my house and he wanted to ride in my car with me.  I think that this decision was two-fold:  partially because Arthur was riding in my car, and partially because he thinks my car is cool (I drive a Beetle).  I have Auto Bingo in the back pockets of my car seats, for this very purpose, to keep nephews entertained when they ride in my car.  So he was playing with the game in the back seat (unfortunately it’s not that much fun when you’re playing by yourself).  He kept asking me questions about it, but I was on a stretch of road that had very few stoplights, and I didn’t want to turn around to look at what he was asking me about.  He was persistent, though.  “Noey, what are these red things?”  “I can’t see them, buddy.”  “These red things right here.”  “I’m sorry, Buddy, but I can’t look right now.  I need to keep my eyes on the road.”  Jake says, “Yeah, I had to keep my eyes on the road, too, when I was a big guy.”

So he is pretty much just a little wad of cuteness.

This week has been particularly hard, just more holiday crap, I think, and I got this sweet, encouraging message from my sister in law on Facebook.  I share it because it’s just so cute and sweet and if it blesses you even a smidgen of how much it blessed me, you’ll be lucky (here it is):

Jake and I were looking at pictures of you and Arthur. He was asking about Sawan, which is always so bittersweet for me. I love telling him how Sawan was such a wonderful man, he was an excellent uncle who loved Jake from the moment he met him, he loved you so much and you two will always be in love. Then having to remind him that Sawan lives in Heaven now with Jesus and we miss him so much. Today Jake said, "I know Noey is sad that she doesn't have her "someone special" (we've been talking about how you marry someone special) anymore, but I have an idea - I can be her someone special. I love her and Arthur so much!" Just thought I'd let you know that you have a nephew who loves you dearly and wants to ease your pain in his own innocent and precious way. Love you so much!


my favorite photo of Sawan and Jake.  January, 2007



5 comments:

  1. Oh, that made my heart ache. The most wonderful time of the year filled with MINES!

    It could be a new video game except it would pretty much suck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Addie, you make me laugh. Thanks. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a beautiful story and photo. I especially love the photo.

    On another topic entirely, one thing that I have found to be somewhat annoying when writing my blogs is that when text is copied and pasted, it doesn't automatically correct the font style and size to look like everything else. I have no idea if you felt the same way (annoyed), but thought that I would mention that I recently learned how to fix that by using notepad to clear the formatting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Sara, I actually kindof liked it. :) I thought it gave it good separation. But thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh good, I didn't know if you did or didn't but did know that after years of dealing with it, I was finally thankful for a trick to make it stop. I didn't want you to have to go down that same road. I should remember that not all people are as silly as I am. :)

    ReplyDelete