Friday, October 22, 2010

Memory Quilt

I’ve always been overly sentimental.

When I was a little girl, (and this is a little embarrassing, I’ve never admitted this to anyone) I would hate to shower the day after Christmas.  It was just such a long wait for Christmas to come again, and I didn’t want to “wash the Christmas” out of my hair. 

I’m a little overwhelmed by the amount of Sawan’s stuff that I have.  I’m living in a little house right now with an unfinished basement, so I was able to just pack all of his stuff into boxes and think “I’ll deal with it later.”  But I’m wondering how long I’m going to just leave it there, without dealing with it?

I started the process last week, if you can call it that.  I’m not sure how much more I’m up for anytime soon.

I am having a memory quilt made.  This is something that I read about on a website for widows.  It was a suggestion that you take his clothes and make a quilt out of it, rather than just getting rid of them.  I loved this idea and started researching it, and realized that I didn’t need it to be a specific “memory quilt,” I could just have a regular quilt made out of them and it would be “memory” for me.  So I asked a friend who quilts if she could make it and she agreed.  Six months ago.  It’s taken me till now to bite the bullet and get everything together for it.

I finally went out and bought the fabric for the backing and the borders, and told her that I had it all together for her, but then I had to go through the clothes to give them to her, as well.

That proved to be a harder task than I thought it would be (and I knew it was going to be hard, that’s why I waited six months).

I was just sorting through, to get the button-down shirts; they were the right kind of fabric for the quilt.  But getting everything out, and smelling them, and knowing that this was the last time that I was seeing them as a real shirt, knowing for sure that he wasn’t coming back to wear them again, was unbelievably hard.

I felt such a sense of accomplishment when I handed the stuff over, though.  Although it was only one box out of about 20 that I got rid of, something beautiful will come out of it, and I can’t wait to have my quilt for my bed out of the shirts that I have so many memories of.  It’s going to take a few months for it to be finished, but I’ll follow up with a photo when it’s done!

I figure at this rate, I should be done in about 10 years, then, right?

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you are doing this, and I also remember the smell. And at the same time, I just freaked Rob out by letting him know the enormous denim quilt we sleep under mid-winter was made from jeans that I, big Blake, and big Blake's dad had all donated to the cause (jeans no longer worn due to fit or tears).

    May your memory quilt bring comfort when needed and be a delight to you always. And may you remember not to freak out any future husband you may be blessed with. DAMN IT.

    Damage control going on now...

    ReplyDelete