Wednesday, January 12, 2011

House Hunting

I’m not sleeping again.  I’m actually feeling like I have jet lag.  I pass out at like 8 o’clock; unable to keep my eyes open any longer, and then wake up several times throughout the night for an hour at a time.  It’s frustrating.

What’s on my mind is house hunting.  I’m trying to figure out where I’ll live in 6 weeks.  My lease will be up, and I’m thinking that I need to take advantage of the low interest rates.  It is becoming more and more evident that I am a princess.  What I would like is a $300,000 house, but I only want to pay around $1000/month for my mortgage payment.  These numbers just don’t really match up, and clearly I’m not very good at compromise.

What’s really annoying is how being a widow plays into this whole deal.  I used to be awesome at decision-making.  I owned my own business.  I knew what I wanted for my life.  When you make a multi-thousand-dollar decision, like buying a house, it seems like it should be a pretty long-term decision, and I have no idea about my future.  I have no idea about a future husband, or kids, or even roommates, so trying to make those decisions is super-hard.  Also, I used to have someone that I bounced all of these ideas off of, that helped me make these kind of decisions, so now when I get bogged down, I can really start to feel sorry for myself because I don’t have him to talk to about it. 

In spite of all of this, I seem to be holding up pretty well.  This seems like the formula for disaster:  no sleep+the possibility of being homeless in 6 weeks+super busy schedule with very little recovery time=CRAZY WIDOW!  But I don’t feel crazy…yet.  I’ll keep you posted.

3 comments:

  1. You can bounce things off me. I'm here for you when it's convenient for me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lost the love of my life in November. I really like your blog. I figure we could perhaps forge a friendship. After all, we do have widowhood in common. Your blog inspired me to start my own. Take a deep breath. And, meditate on the decision. I know that sounds very new agey but it has helped me to stop, breath and listen. Hope you get in touch.
    Crimson. PS My blog is "donathen my love".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that you find something really wonderful and perfect for you and your adorable dog. Buying a home can be so overwhelming but try to focus on the end result, a home that is yours to do with as you please. There is so much more freedom when you own to make a place really and truly yours. Whether there is a future husband, kids, dogs, etc - those things will get worked out in the future when they happen. Good luck! XOXO

    ReplyDelete