Monday, February 7, 2011

The place for me...

I have been reading a book about grieving, by a guy from the band Rush, where he loses his daughter in a car accident and then within a year loses his wife to cancer.  So he just gets on his motorcycle and checks out for a year. 

About a week ago, I was reading a friend’s blog, and it was about getting in the car and driving.  In my estimation, it was also about the need to escape.  It reminded me of a time in my life, several years ago, where I felt that way, too, and I posted on her Facebook wall my theme song for that time, Counting Crow’s Holiday in Spain.

Listening to that music, combined with reading this book, has me feeling the wanderlust a bit.  There’s something about that idea of just getting away from it all, escaping.  The timing of that really sucks, since I’ve decided to buy a house in Denver (little update:  I’m under contract with the sellers, but it being a short sale, we’re still waiting to hear from the bank.  I have no idea how long that can take.).

But this week I’m reminded of why I thought it was a good idea to go ahead and make a permanent housing decision in Denver.  My folks went to visit my brother, and my sister that I live with went to visit my sister that lives in London.  I’ve had a couple of times in the last year and a half where I’ve been totally on my own like that here and I implode.  This time has certainly been an improvement, and I also have friends that are calling to check in on me and have made plans for later in the week just to make sure I’m ok.  But I still am recognizing that I need my fam, I do better when they’re around, so I think Denver is the place for me.

Arthur and I tried to get in Ellie's suitcase to go to London, too.  Didn't quite work.
Plus, if I went somewhere else, I wouldn’t get to shovel snow (I’m not kidding, I actually love to shovel snow) and yesterday I shoveled my front sidewalk and then went to a friends house and shoveled their sidewalk and whole driveway and I’m not even sore!  Yay!

1 comment:

  1. thanks for posting that song. I could've sworn I commented back on my FB but apparently I missed hitting the post button somehow... I told 'Grid last night you nailed it on the head for me in this blog. It was entirely about the need to escape and how I always run instead of facing things. I think it's so interesting that you and I, in completely different places and for different reasons, are both settling down in Colorado. And it sort of makes me happy and encouraged to know that someone else hasn't always wanted to settle permanently here (or perhaps anywhere). I'm glad that you're sticking around and that I get to be a part of your community.

    ReplyDelete